• Billbergia has been working to create a sustainable community with a high level of amenity and liveability over 15 years in Wentworth Point Town Centre
• The prestigious award builds on Billbergia’s list of industry accolades for the $4-Billion Wentworth Point Town Centre development
The Billbergia Group’s 11-hectare Wentworth Town Centre project has been announced winner of the 2021 prestigious Urban Development Institute of Australia’s (UDIA) National Awards for Excellence in the category of Masterplanned Development.
The national award follows the New South Wales UDIA state win for Masterplan development and builds on Billbergia’s impressive list of industry accolades for the $4-Billion Wentworth Point Town Centre development.
The award was judged by a national panel of industry-leading experts who commended the project for taking “…an 11-hectare disconnected and underutilised former industrial site and with careful planning and infrastructure provision [turning] it into an outstanding community.” i
Mr John Kinsella AM, Managing Director of the Billbergia Group said: “We are extremely proud to see our 15-year vision come to fruition in the vibrant community now living at Wentworth Point.
Above all else, Billbergia is dedicated to developing quality living environments by creating well-planned, accessible communities that promote a healthy lifestyle, sustainable living and vibrant areas for stimulating social interaction.
“To be recognised on a national level is an outstanding achievement. I would like to congratulate those we have worked with us as well as the community at Wentworth Point on being recognised as the national award winner in category of Masterplanned Development.”
Planned over seven stages, the Wentworth Point Town Centre is based on a Master Plan by architectural and urban design firm Scott Carver. The project incorporates:
• 3,700 apartments (on completion);
• The 3,500 sqm Community Centre and Library which recently received a ‘Commendation’ in the 2021 Australian Library Design Awards;
• Award-winning ‘super neighbourhood’ shopping centre with active street frontages and outdoor dining;
• Vibrant streetscape with high-quality granite paving and deep-planted mature landscaping;
• Privately funded $63 million Bennelong Bridge, a public transport bridge that connects the precinct to the city’s heavy rail network at Rhodes ; and
• The free Baylink Shuttle community bus service that has already reached three million passenger trips in its first three years of service.
The judges commented that the overarching approach placed the community front and centre, through a master plan that focused on community, amenity and identity.ii
They said further that more than simply a residential development project, Wentworth Point has resulted in a development that delivers an outstanding level of public amenity, with easy access to transport, shopping, dining and a range of social and community infrastructure.
Further information: Rick Graf 0418 727 282
i Urban Development Institute of Australia. (2021). National Awards for Excellence 2021. https://en.calameo.com/read/005648407a6942f1818df
ii Urban Development Institute of Australia. (2021). Masterplanned Development Category. https://udia.com.au/2021-winner-masterplanned-development-award/